This week, I've been rediscovering a lot of songs/bands that I loved but don't listen to any more, so I thought I'd comprise a list of about five songs that you should listen to this week.
- DJ Shadow: Organ Donor. This song is super duper old, and many of you may recognise it from series 2 (I think!) of Skins. You know, when Sid takes that scottish E pill in the club? This song is just so mesmerising for me, and it's such easy listening. It seems to go well in any situation, be it running, sitting on the bus, partying. You name it and somehow it'll work.
- Avenged Sevenfold: Scream. This might not be everyone's cup of tea, and I admit, I wouldn't call myself a fan or anything, but I love this. I think the riffs are fantastic, the lyrics are clever and witty. It gets me PUMPED!
- Warpaint: Elephant. To be honest, anything by Warpaint. I've been rediscovering them ever since they came up on shuffle while I was studying a few days ago. They're all so incredibly talented and beautiful. I've never managed to find music that simultaneously makes you energetic and tired; until now. The music is so beautifully polyphonic, and topped so perfectly with Emily Kokal's haunting voice.
- King Krule/ Zoo Kid: Baby Blue. I've been a massive fan of Archy Marshall (AKA Zoo Kid, King Krule, DJ JD Sports) for bloody ages! I absolutely love his individuality, and the almost deconstructed feel of his music. Some of you may have heard of Out Getting Ribs (it was featured in places like the guardian a while back, but I don't think it's his best work. It's good; don't get me wrong, but I don't think it has what endeared me to him (not that I know what that is). Ocean Bed is also a fantastic song, but rather more upbeat. Baby Blue really knows how to calm me down (Can a song know how to do something? It can now.). King Krule is super hard to find online, but he's getting more publicity recently (I think he was one of Radio 1's Artists to watch in 2013, or whatever they call it, not long ago), so I hope his internet presence improves a bit.
- Foals: Dearth. AHHH! They're new album comes out in less than half an hour, I can not bloody wait! Again, this is a band I've had a ridiculously long love affair with, and I hope I shall continue to love just as passionately in the future. Dearth has always been one of my favourites by Foals, it's on the Gold Gold Gold EP. For a while, I had a tumblr by the same name, but I don't think anyone understood it. This song is great though, nothing feels quite perfect individually, yet it all works perfectly together; a rare and underrated quality I think. It's one of their less famous songs, and definitely deserves some more love. Absolutely worth a listen.
Hope this was some use to someone, if anyone wants to recommend more to me, don't hesitate to do so! I'm always on the hunt for new music!